100 Friends began in India in 1989 when I discovered a Tibetan woman with terrible ear infections. I took her to the doctor and a $1 antibiotic saved her life and a $30 hearing aid restored her hearing. I was amazed to learn that you could make such a big difference to a person’s life with so little money.
When I returned to the US, I made a decision to return to India in order to help other needy people in a similar manner. I contacted one hundred of my friends in order to share this experience with them and gather donations to put to use on my next trip and I succeeded in raising $2,200.

Since then, the project and its supporters have expanded dramatically. I have been able to help thousands of individuals, families and small organizations in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Last year I raised $184,168. The ultimate goal of the project is to give away one million dollars (but why stop there?).

100 Friends Pakistani young girl
100 Friends aims to bring direct assistance by means of philanthropic travel to some of the world’s most needy people. I travel personally to Third World countries to carry out humanitarian missions annually and put the money to work in the most compassionate, appropriate, culturally compatible, constructive and practical manner possible, wherever he sees the most deserving need. When at home in the US, I work with thousands of young people to involve them in the project activities, thus planting seeds for future humanitarian work.

Who We Help

100 Friends provides practical and direct assistance to a diverse range of people in need in Third World Countries. I focus on locating the most needy sector of humanity who are not receiving any aid from other sources. The primary group of people I try to help are those who are among the most vulnerable in society: children, the sick and the elderly. As well as providing funds for medical, educational and subsistence expenses in impoverished areas, I also bring emergency relief to people in countries that have suffered from war and natural disasters. I also provide grants and technical assistance to small local organizations.
100 Friends Nepal - old woman

Philosophy and Action

100 Friends is based on the principle that one person can make a difference. It can take very little money, knowledge or other resources to accomplish miracles. When I speak in front of young people and plant the seeds of philanthropic travel in their minds, I try to impress upon them these principles to inspire them to make a difference in people’s lives. I also help others who are planning to set up similar initiatives. Even the impoverished are encouraged and empowered to continue the cycle of giving by ‘paying it forward’ – performing their own altruistic acts within their own communities. I aim to deliver what I call ‘the magic moment’ – the look on someone’s face when you tell them they will receive a lifesaving operation for their child or an educational opportunity that they could never afford themselves.


100 Friends is an IRS approved 501 (c) 3 charitable organization. A minimum of 85% of all donations goes directly into the hands of a needy person, family or local organization. The remaining 15% is spent on items such as postage, office supplies, website development and maintenance, printing newsletters and other documents, and fundraising. The project files IRS form 990 on a yearly basis and can be viewed at Guidestar.org. This form provides details on the organization’s missions, programs and finances. All donors receive (either by email or post) a letter documenting their donation. A careful record is kept of all donations to the project and project expenses. Aid disbursed is also documented carefully with individual receipts as well as photos and documentaries which show the activities of the project at work. These field reports can be viewed on the website at Newsletters. At this time, there are no paid employees of 100 Friends.

Total Donations Raised

Yearly Amount
Cumulative Total
1992 $2,111 $2,111
1996 $3,367 $5,478
1998 $4,159 $9,637
2000 $2,478 $12,115
2001 $6,700 $18,815
2002 $9,010 $27,825
2003 $18,405 $46,230
2004 $18,300 $64,530
2005 $40,465 $104,995
2006 $73,518 $178,513
2007 $115,627 $294,140
2008 $171,695 $466,035
2009 $137,814 $603,849
2010 $198,379 $802,228
2011 $195,225 $997,453
2012 $127,592 $1,125,045
2013 $147,163 $1,272,208
2014 $146,401 $1,418,609
2015 $184,168 $1,602,777
2016 $196,884 $1,799,661
2017 $160,242 $1,959,903
2018 $102,543 $2,062,446*
*as of November 26, 2018